Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Notes to self!


The fall always seems as though the colors are a bit brighter and all my struggling plants from the summer tend to take on a new refreshed look unfortunately right before a freeze. It seems like a perfect time to evaluate plantings and plan for yet another spring. Although many people buy new chrysanthemums every year in their neat little pots strategically placed in a fall arrangement, I guess I prefer to let nature do its thing. If I will just remember to cut them back before the Fourth of July I have a beautiful display! These particular ones are a plant I received when my father-in-law, Lionel, passed away. What a great reminder of him and his hard work as a farmer so patiently tending to crops and family!
My flower bed to the north of my sunroom is my favorite! This year I planted some new plants to go with the usual impatience, black-eyed susans, hostas, and miniature roses. The Magilla Perilla coleus plant, and Diamond Frost Euphorbia have made me so happy! The picture doesn't really do them justice but they for sure will be on my planting list next year! Mindy gave me a reblooming iris she purchased at the Farmer's Market in Norman and what a wonderful surprise that has been in September. So needless to say I am in the market for other colors of reblooming iris.
Maybe next spring I will be able to find these notes to myself! Ha!




3 comments:

Mindy S said...

Looks really pretty! I also want to get some of those Irisis.

Mrs. Cannon said...

Beautiful! Ok, why do you not have your own show on HGTV? I'm on a quest now to know more about Magilla Perilla.

Haley Bird said...

I guess everyone is blogging now! I think I will start too! ;0)
I love your flower beds! Very pretty! Your persian shield is HUGE my would never grow! Love ya!

Followers